All about the Steamer Trunk Experiment

Picture via Pinterest
Maybe this should've been the first entry.
What is this all about? - you could ask. If this is a blog about Minimalism, minimalising and decluttering, if it's a blog about how someone learns to live without his excess stuff which - just a couple of years ago- meant him everything, how does the steamer trunk come in the picture?
Long story short: since we - my fiancée and I - started this whole minimalist journey, she said very often - seeing a backpacked tourist - with an honest sigh: How nice it would be if I'd have only so much stuff which could be fitted in a backpack.
To tell the truth se didn't use the word stuff, she always refers to stuff as shit, declaring humanity's great relationship with things.
Well after her sentence about the "backpack fitting" stuff I always reply that there are Backpack-type of persons (referring to those people who are truly able to live with so less) and if I would choose I'd say I am a Steamer trunk-type of person.
Usually that is followed with something sarcastic from her, regarding how typical it is from me, the collector of things, and we carry on.
But when I called her last week telling with great enthusiasm that I decided to do it, and downsize my collections and stuff just to the point it can fit into a steamer trunk, she seemed surprised and somehow proud, that I am able to take such a great step toward our new lifestyle.
From the two of us I was always the one, who made decisions slower about things if they had to go out, but mindlessly fast if they had to come in. I worked very hard since the beginning of this year to try to change my mentality about these things.
As I wrote in my first entry, more than seven years ago I thought about minimalism as an utter bullshit, something that I don't even want to hear about nor living by it, or in it. And that continued 'til last year...
I don't know how it found its way into our life, I remember things like my fiancée started to talk about it, and we watched the Minimalism a documentary about important things, and then came blogs and youtube channels and one of my colleague - who's also a collector - saying that "you have been brain washed" because I was reading about minimalism even during work.
I've made a lengthy blog entry on my other blog about everything. It is very similar to my first entries here, talking about the moving, the things that shouldn't have been moved at all, etc, etc.

But here we are now, looking through the internet searching for a steamer trunk.

It is an experiment, and I chose the word carefully, I didn't want to use the term project, for a reason:

A project is like a plan, you have it all layed out way before you start to doing it, you know dates and times that when and what will happen, you have plan B-s and C-s if something does not turn out as you wanted. But with an experiment, everything is well...experimental.
I don't even have the steamer trunk yet, but the next time I'll make a blog entry that will mean something has happened.
It is an experiment because after my well planed first step: purchasing a standing steamer trunk, I have no idea what will happen. In what order will I declutter? Which will be the few things that can make an exception? And most importantly: what will be decluttered without mercy...?

Megjegyzések