First Revelations: The tea spoon incident

First of all, look at this beauty! Perfect color, wonderful size. It's only waiting for someone to purchase and love it. Dream came true, too good to be true...blah-blah-blah.
I was literally kicked in the groin when the salesman told me it is only for rent.
I mean what the actual F@&ł...?!

 - Sorry, we are facing technical difficulties, be back in a minute! -

Meanwhile...
I thought I should tell you more about this whole "from friendly neighbour hoarder man to the steamer trunk minimalist" process.
As I mentioned it before, there were certain points in my life after the move, which ones appeared to be signs, trying to tell me: this isn't the right path that I am on. Some of them worth to be remembered, and the most powerful was which I only refer to as:


 The Teaspoon Incident

There was this antique/thrift-store in the heart of Budapest, its name was Bolhapalota (which means flea palace, it was some kind of a play-on-words in Hungarian). We were regular costumers there, we still have a thing or two what we bought there, but there aren't so many of them now. That means most of it has been resold, gifted or donated, that clearly shows how these purchases was only indicated by impulses.
 I can't even really recall what we bought there, I still have a silver coated antique mug and a shoemaker's last (this one is still in use, I've learnt leather working and it is my hobby)...and of course the Teaspoon.
The place was a huge shop, with many-many display cases and shelves. Anyone could go in and rent a shelf, or a place in the glass display cabinets, and for a certain price you could place your unnecessary but somehow valuable (otherwise why don't just throw it away, why try to sell?) stuff- for a week or a month in their shop. They got your rent, you got money after the stuff that had been purchased, everybody's happy!
So we often wandered there, searching for treasure among others' debris. We always loved fleamarkets and this was one which is open all week, perfect haven for someone who's addicted to the used stuff of others'.
Because literally anyone could rent a place in the shop, from time to time there were handmade and handcrafted items.
Among those items I found the teaspoon.
On one of the shelves in the back of the shop there were small logs. From these logs, spoons were hanging: in different sizes, from the small teaspoons to large ladles. All of them was bent so their cup could hold a candle, and their handle had a drilled hole so you could hang them up, anywhere you want.
At the moment I am trying to get a clue, about what time I bought this piece? Was I still living with my mother or just after the moving?
Anyhow the teaspoon candle holder has been purchased sometime ago, and not so long time after it has already found its way to one of the boxes, to be forgotten.
No I am not kidding nor exaggerate it, It was honestly forgotten, for weeks...maybe months, or even a year.
I recall one night sitting together, watching TV. If I can remember correctly, we watched some show about home decor or home makeover, and someone used a candle holder made from a spoon.
" Oh my God!" I exclaimed " Look at that candle holder! I would love to have something like that"
My fiancée looked puzzled and said "You have an almost identical one..." I suppose even she did not think that I really forgot about one of my prized stuff.
But I did. 
I didn't even know where to start a search for it, so she got up, went to the other room, and just after a few minutes came back with the teaspoon in her hand.
Next day it was among my first things to do: to nail the bloody thing to my bookshelf somewhere about the height of my eyes, so I will never forget it again.
It started out as a handcrafted candle holder, and now it is a memento, which can't be ever removed, even if I don't really need it, because it's a little bit fire hazard, and only small candles can be placed inside, but it is something that will always remind me to the time when I was so foolish that I could completely forget about things for which I payed. Which means exactly that I have not needed it ever.
From that time every time I forget about something it has two ways to go, by being donated or by being sold. But if anything wasn't important enough to take up a small place in my mind, it does not have to take up any space in my home.

Megjegyzések